Posts

She-Shed Update: Making Things Pretty

Image
 Progress on the she-shed this month has been slow going. Prince Charming is taking a master's class right now, it's track season, and we're hitting the end-of-school slump. So rather than tackling the larger projects such as wiring and drywall, we've focused on smaller projects. One of the things I desperately wanted for my office, was an old-fashioned roll top desk. They're sturdy, have tons of storage space, and there's something about them that just says "author" to me. Prince Charming, being the amazing man he is, found me the perfect, used desk at a fraction of the cost a new one would have cost, and not at all far from where we live. He drove out to pick it up after school one day and brought this beauty home. Roll top desk It has a few minor flaws on it, one of which was a small spot on the backboard which had peeled away. So I scoured Amazon for some stick-on wallpaper. I found a beautiful peony pattern in the same colors I plan on using insid

She-Shed Update: Adding Personality

Image
 Time just seems to keep going faster and faster, doesn't it? This past month has seen slow progress on the shed as we've dealt with inclement weather and minor setbacks. Thankfully we've learned along the way, and progress continues. Daddy daughter paint date. One of the things we've been focusing on over the last month is getting the exterior done. The last door and the doggy door were put in. Then for the fun part: painting! Because we want the shed to match our house, especially since it is mostly visible to the street, we chose a bright white for the bulk of the siding. Putting in the accent front siding. Because this building was once a one-car garage, there had been a garage door to the front at some point. That had been replaced with plywood boards long before we moved in. We covered those boards (and replaced damaged ones) with housing plastic and then added an accent, vertical siding. It took a few tries to get this part just right. The "measure twice, cu

She-Shed Update: Let There Be Light

Image
 Readers, January went by so very fast! In that time, we worked quite a bit on the she-shed, when weather was on our side. So this will be mostly pictures, but here's our progress so far. New, 3x4 foot windows have been installed on each side of the shed.  Window on North side along with replaced siding. Even the little ones got to help. So much light! We've roped visiting family into helping out too. Thanks, James! Along with the addition of windows, there has been repair work to the north siding. This is where we had the most damage. We also have installed the new door to the front. This was a bigger project than first anticipated, and definitely a learning experience! One of the things we learned was that the old plywood we hoped to use as sheathing wasn't going to work. So off it came. Gary enjoyed helping measure the openings as new sheathing was put in. Before installing the door, we had to check that it would fit properly in the opening we'd made. It was late eve